The Troublesome Yankee Schooner

Today I’ve got a seafaring saga to share with you – the story of a four-masted Yankee schooner that was photographed while visiting New Zealand in the 1920’s.  There are no pirates in this tale, but there is just about everything else.  There are ghost ships, tempests and a mutiny.  Also Nazis, sort of.

The photograph is from my private collection, found in an album of maritime related snaps that I picked up some years ago in an antique shop in Christchurch.  I imagine that the original owner must’ve been a lighthouse keeper, or retired sea dog, as nearly every photograph is of a visiting ship, and while there are no dates each vessel has been lovingly named.  Whoever took the snapshots must’ve loved the sea.

There are some warships, some steamers and some recreational yachts, but there is one vessel that stands out as odd – a four masted “Yankee Schooner” called the ‘Forest Home’.

The Yankee Schooner 'Forest Home' New Zealand 1920's Lemuel Lyes Collection

The Yankee Schooner ‘Forest Home’ in New Zealand waters, 1920’s
Lemuel Lyes Collection

I’m a sucker for tall ships and this one is no exception, she is an absolute beauty.  However she does seem a little out-of-place.  The age of sail was all but over in the 1920’s and fully rigged tall ships were becoming a rarity; and what exactly is a Yankee schooner doing hanging out in New Zealand waters anyway?  There is a story here…I can sense it.

The Forest Home was built in Marshfield, Oregon.  On 29th September 1900 the San Francisco Call published details of a reception that was held on the new vessel.  The headline reads “Handsome New Schooner”.  Handsome she was, but she wasn’t a pleasure craft – she was built for hard work.  She was destined for the lumber trade where despite being only 190 feet long she could carry a million feet of timber.

It took four tall ships like the Forest Home to carry the same amount of wood as the average steamship of the time, however they were considerably cheaper to run and they could be made of wood – something that this part of North America had in abundance.  Here at least the age of sail continued.

The Forest Home’s maiden voyage was from San Francisco to Puget Sound to pick up lumber for Callao or Valparaiso, where she would load nitrate for the return voyage.  This would be the first of many long trips across the Pacific.  Most of these voyages were without incident but the Forest Home would make the news six years later when she rescued the crew of a distressed vessel.

It was 7th December 1906 and a fierce gale was raging off Cape Flattery, which at the time was the northwesternmost point of the United States.  A ship called the Sea Witch was in peril; she had sprung a leak, was waterlogged and threatening to break apart.  I guess that is what you get for giving your ship a name like Sea Witch.  In desperation her crew set off distress signals and hoped that help would come.  They were in luck – the Forest Home saw the signals and came to their rescue.   All sixteen crew were saved from their sinking ship and four days later were dropped off at Port Townsend, Washington.  However there is one thing that they forgot – witches float.

The Sea Witch didn’t give in to the waves and instead was destined to become one of those crewless derelicts known as a phantom ship.  She was spotted in the North Pacific for weeks afterwards, sometimes crossing the path of other vessels.  She was last sighted drifting southwest and was thought to have eventually sunk somewhere in the South Pacific, although I like to think that maybe she is still out there.

During her career the Forest Home made a number of trips to Australasia, with one report from February 1910 referring to her as “one of the fliers” of the American lumber fleet.  She also worked in Alaskan waters fishing for salmon and believe it or not was also a movie star – she was hired for work on at least three silent films shot in San Francisco Bay.  One of these was “The Hell Ship” (1920) and another was an adaptation of Jack London’s ‘The Sea-Wolf’, the story of a shipwreck victim that is rescued by a cruel captain.  The line between fiction and reality was about to blur.

At 8:30am on 25th April 1923 the Forest Home arrived at Wellington, New Zealand after an 85-day voyage from Vancouver carrying a cargo of Oregon pine.  The sight of the handsome schooner coming in to dock seemed innocent enough but she was about to make headlines for all the wrong reasons.

The first sign of trouble was an unfortunate mishap involving one of the crew.  At 8pm on Monday 30th April a man was seen to fall overboard and disappear into the depths.  Despite the best efforts of a fellow crew-member and local police, the body of John Bouchard was not recovered until the next day.  The exact cause of the mishap is unknown, but allegedly the body showed evidence of injuries to the face.

Less than a week later and Captain Wewetzer of the Forest Home was the centre of a major scandal.  He appeared before a magistrate charged with assaulting one of his crew; the complainant Thomas Mullen claimed that the previous Friday he was the night watchman and after lighting the lamp had disappeared below deck to warm up.  A few minutes later the Captain appeared and demanded why he wasn’t keeping watch.  He then proceeded to punch and kick the man until another member of the crew came to his rescue.  The Captain was found guilty of assault and was fined £5 plus costs.

During his defence the Captain claimed, “The crew have been up against me all the voyage”.  This statement hinted at earlier trouble on the Forest Home and sure enough the voyage to New Zealand became headline news the next day.

Headline from 'NZ Truth' 5th May 1923 Courtesy of Papers Past

Headline from ‘NZ Truth’ 5th May 1923
Courtesy of Papers Past

The NZ Truth claimed that trouble began just one fortnight into the voyage when the crew began to complain about the state of their rations.  They complained that the salted salmon smelled awful, the biscuits were “weevily”, that the bread soon ran out, there was no tea or coffee and most dinners consisted of salted pork or beef with rice pudding.  More serious allegations include that the Captain kicked one member of his crew in the shins, docked pay for trivial reasons and produced a revolver on multiple occasions.

A few weeks later William Wilson, first mate of the Forest Home, appeared at the Magistrate’s Court charged with stealing £19 from Captain Wewetzer.  He admitted the crime and was sentenced to three months imprisonment – with the proviso that he was to be returned to his vessel before it sailed.  I wonder if perhaps he considered his mandatory return to the ship as more of a punishment than the time behind bars.  At some stage the Captain was fined ten shillings for drunkenness and at about the same time Mullen was charged with assaulting the Captain, but the case was dismissed with the magistrate commenting, “This appears to be a very troublesome vessel”.  The trouble wasn’t over yet.

The affairs of the Forest Home would play out in court yet again when members of the crew sued the captain for lost wages.  They claimed that four other men had deserted since they arrived in the port and the only thing stopping the rest was the money that was owed to them.

Seemingly cursed with poor luck in Wellington the Forest Home finally left for Wanganui where it dropped off the rest of its cargo, however it continued to be plagued by troubles.  A month passed and the Forest Home was still idle at Wanganui; the captain was in severe financial strife – struggling to pay the amount owed to his crew along with the mounting harbour dues.  On 1st September the Supreme Court ruled that the Forest Home was to be sold by public tender to cover the cost of the amount owed.

'Evening Post', 2nd October 1923 Courtesy of Papers Past

‘Evening Post’, 2nd October 1923
Courtesy of Papers Past

Thus, for the price of £600 the vessel found itself with New Zealand owners, Holm and Co.  They towed the schooner by steamship back to Wellington where over six months they gave her a complete overhaul and refitted her with four new masts.   The Forest Home was also given a new name – Holmwood.

Meanwhile some of the old crew were still causing trouble in Wellington.  On 29th December, William Wilson, formerly of the Forest Home and having being previously been charged with six accounts of drunkenness, appeared in court charged with breaching his prohibition order.  When asked for his plea he replied “A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year”.   Less than a month later and another of the former crew was located and charged with desertion.  The Magistrate’s Court was no doubt getting sick of the Yankee Schooner.

Her new life as the Holmwood began in July 1924 when she left Wellington for Newcastle to load a cargo of coal.  She made numerous Tasman crossings under the command of Captain Taylor, Captain S. Holm and Captain. C. Stannish.

There was a curious event on 12th December 1925 when her captain reported the sighting of an upturned wooden vessel about 100 miles northwest of the North Island.  Part of me likes to think that this was perhaps the remains of the Sea Witch haunting her once rescuer, but alas it was thought that this new ghost ship was the ketch Lialetta, a trading vessel that had disappeared a year earlier with all hands lost.  They never found out for sure.

In the following year the Holmwood would have a close call of her own.

'Auckland Star' 3rd April 1926 Courtesy of Papers Past

‘Auckland Star’ 3rd April 1926
Courtesy of Papers Past

It was perhaps during this gale, or at least in one similar, that these images were taken.

The Holmwood during a storm Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW 1 - 47270

The Holmwood during a storm
Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW 1 – 47270

Storm breaking on deck of Holmwood Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW 1 - 47268

Storm breaking on deck of Holmwood
Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW 1 – 47268

By the late 1920’s what was now known as the Holm Shipping Company decided that the cost of running the old tall ship was too high and she was relegated to the role of coal hulk in Wellington Harbour.  Unlike other hulks at the time her four masts still stood proudly, testament to her previous life as a timber trader and movie star.  She would last in this role for a decade.

In 1939 the last of the coal hulks started to receive death sentences.  In May the old clipper William Manson (1872), once a rival of the well-known Cutty Sark, was towed to Ward Island and set alight.  The Holm Shipping Company had only two weeks to find a buyer for the Holmwood or she would meet a similar fate.  There was talk of her perhaps being converted into accommodation for the upcoming Centennial Exhibition but it was not to be.

Just a few weeks before the outbreak of the Second World War the old schooner made her last voyage.  The Port Whangarei towed her across the Cook Strait to her final home at Port Underwood where she was beached and broken up for her fine Oregon timber.

The Forest Home had a fascinating career dodging phantom ships, riding out storms, starring on the big screen and was even nearly the scene of a mutiny during her infamous voyage to Wellington.  She then briefly played an early role in the history of one of New Zealand’s shipping dynasties but even with a new owner, captain, crew and masts I suspect she still struggled to ever shake off her reputation as a troublesome Yankee schooner.  The photograph in my collection was likely taken in the mid-late 1920’s during her service as the Holmwood, however it is perhaps a testament to her reputation that the photographer labelled the image with her true name – the ‘Yankee Schooner’ Forest Home.


But wait!  Didn’t I promise Nazis?  There is a short epilogue of sorts to this story.  In August 1940 the Holm Shipping Company bought the steamship Tees and renamed her Holmwood.  For this reason the Forest Home and the Tees have occasionally been confused.  In November of the same year that she was purchased the second Holmwood was on her way from the Chatham Islands to Lyttelton when she was captured and sunk by a Nazi raider. I’ve had the privilege of interviewing one of the civilians that was on-board that day, but that is another story…

© Lemuel Lyes

11 replies »

    • Thank you very much! It is great to hear that people enjoy my work, and I’m thrilled if I can in any way make history come alive for others. Thanks for visiting!

  1. Wow, great story. So an errant couple of punches to the head of said crew member, perhaps a loss of footing – and overboard he goes. Seems like Cap’n skirted at the least a manslaughter charge on that one.

    • Noone knows what caused the crewman to fall into the water, but he was found immediately below the ship indicating that he sank straight down. The NZ Truth also claim that he had signficant injuries to the face. It certainly seems possible that he suffered an injury onboard before the fall.

      It would be complete conjecture to suggest that he met with foul play – but when the captain is found guilty of assaulting another crew member just a few nights later you do have to wonder if it was a coincidence. There is no doubt that the captain was a rough sort who liked his drink and had no qualms about using violence against his crew.

      I do wonder if there was an official inquest into the drowning and if foul play was considered at all. Perhaps documents in some archive will shed more light on it. The NZ Truth had the most details of that incident, and one can’t always take everything they printed as fact!

      • It is pretty obvious what transpired. the Truth is up there with the Daily Mail and the New York Post. I think they were a little more serious back then, but…

    • A very good question! I know that remains of the hulk could still be found as late as the 1970’s and am curious to know if there are any remnants left today.

      The hulk was sold to a “settler” so one would presume that they intended to use the wood for building something. It would seem odd to tow a ship across the Cook Strait and then simply use it as firewood! Perhaps some of the Forest Home lives on…

  2. Highly interesting post as usual – I think there’s something especially fascinating about tales of what happens at sea. Speaking to the skipper of a cargo ship recently he explained how he was competing with rival operators who hired disparate crews from the developing world prepared to work ridiculous shifts, meaning the days of abusive sea-masters and rancourous crews are far from over. A tradition..but definitely not a good one! Look forward to your next barnacle-covered post.

    • Thanks for the compliment! I suspect that you are right, things are likely not a heck of a lot better in the modern age. There are often reports in the papers here of crew jumping ship after facing horrific conditions for months on end. As you say, they are often from the developing world and perhaps more willing to put up with harsh hours with the promise of pay.

      Thanks for stopping by!

  3. the remains of the holmwood,lie in cutters bay, port underwood,she has been cut down to the waterline,so there is still lot of her still to her is the hulk of the alameda,another coal hulk from Wellington,Was a wooden Barque of 1,474 tons,Built in 1876

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s